Contents Insurance

Contents Insurance

We can quote through a panel of insurance providers in minutes

Home Insurance advised and recommended

No obligation advice and quotes

We can re-quote your home insurance each year

Contents Insurance

This covers all items in your house, which are not fixed to the property, for example your furniture, jewellery, appliances and clothing. The easiest way of thinking about what is buildings and what is contents insurance is to think of buying a newly built house. All the basics are included like the sink, toilet etc but things like the television and freezer etc are purchased separately. This is contents insurance. The cheapest form of contents insurance is often indemnity based. This means that in the event of a claim, the insurance company would settle on the basis of what the item was worth rather than replacing the item on a 'new for old' basis.

Impartial only recommends contents insurance companies that offer the 'new for old' option because the cost is often not that significantly different to an indemnity policy but the claim can be. Therefore, in the event of a claim you would receive a brand new replacement of whatever gets damaged or stolen, thus you would get a brand new television for example. There are one or two exceptions to this. A stained carpet being claimed under the optional extra accidental damage option. If the carpet can be cleaned rather than needing replacement then the insurance company would prefer to settle on this basis. This would often be more convenient to you than replacing it completely anyway. Contents insurance cover is similar to buildings insurance, but also includes theft.

Calculating the Cover

One of the biggest errors people make with contents insurance is under valuing the contents of the home. When you make a claim for loss or damage the first thing the insurance company will look at is whether you have covered the value of your contents correctly. If you haven't you may find that the insurer will consider that you are under insured and will only pay a proportion of the value of the damaged or lost items.

This can be avoided by spending a little time going into each room and making a list of all the possessions with an approximate value if purchased new. It is worth noting that if you have some free standing kitchen equipment rather than a fully fitted kitchen, this may be classed as contents insurance rather than buildings. Pay special attention to any high value items or works of art.

It's always a good idea to keep receipts or valuations where possible. Taking photos may also help in the event of a claim, as you may not have kept the receipts.

Contents Insurance Accidental Damage

Accidental damage cover is an optional extra with contents. This doesn't increase the price a great deal but can be very valuable cover if you need to claim.

Accidental damage covers you against damage caused by you or others that is deemed to be an accident.

For example, if you dropped and broke something, knocked something off the shelf or paint on the carpet.

Contents insurance accidental damage cover is very similar across all home insurance policies. 'An unintentional one-off incident that harms your property or its contents'.

There are some things that your accidental damage will not cover but these are few and far between.

General wear and tear is therefore not covered under the accidental damage option. You also won't be covered for items that break down. However, if the same item were damaged because you dropped it, you would almost certainly have a claim.

Many contents insurance providers will not cover for damage caused by animals/pets. They may also not cover your contents for damage caused by insects, vermin or infestation.

Contents Insurance No Claims Discount

This is a discount more linked to car insurance in the past. In recent years insurers have started been giving no claims discounts to building and contents insurance to encourage them not to claim no doubt. You normally qualify for No Claims Discount (NCD) if you did not claim on your home insurance the previous year.

Some insurers will give you a no claims discount if you a first time buyer and others may give you some other form of incentive to arrange your buildings and contents insurance with them. The maximum no claims years that will normally be allowed is 5. This can make a massive difference to your buildings and contents insurance annual premium.

Home Insurance

Home Insurance

Buildings Insurance

Contents Insurance

Landlords Insurance

Home Insurance Enquiry Form

Buildings insurance covers damage to your property and the fixtures and fittings of your home.

Contents insurance covers your personal possessions.

Whether you need buildings insurance, contents insurance, or both, our range of home insurance policies from top providers will ensure you will be covered for every eventuality.

About Us

Footer logo

Impartial Mortgage & Protection is an Independent Mortgage Broker and Insurance Brokerage.

Head Office

Enterprise House, Ocean Way,
Southampton, Hampshire,
SO14 3XB

phone icon

02380 221700

As a mortgage broker, Impartial receives a fee from mortgage lenders, which is normally a small percentage of the loan we arrange. We may charge a fee of £200 payable on application depending on the complexity and work involved in your case. Please see your fee agreement for details of the fee charged for your case. The fee agreement will be provided prior to gaining your agreement to proceed.

Impartial Mortgage & Protection Ltd is an Appointed Representative of The Right Mortgage Ltd, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Impartial Mortgage & Protection Ltd. Registered office: Enterprise House, Ocean Way, Southampton, United Kingdom, SO14 3XB. This website and its content is copyright of Impartial - © Impartial 2016. All rights reserved. Company registration number 09648996

The guidance contained in this website is subject to the UK regulatory regime and is therefore targeted at consumers based within the UK.

© Copyright 2024 Impartial Mortgage & Protection LtdWeb Design By Toolkit Websites